Main | Athletes | Coaches | Results & Schedule | Photos
The cheer squad exists at Western Canada High School to promote and uphold school spirit, to develop good sportsmanship among students, to be active and have fun!
- The season runs for the entire year (September till March/April)
- Practices are twice a week after school and once every three weeks on Saturday
- School practices go from directly after school (NO LATER than 10 minutes after the last bell has rung) until 5:00 or 5:30 (at the discretion of Ms. Young and the captain(s))
- Saturday practices will be arranged by a group decision
- Each student must have parental permission and support to be on the squad
- Each student must be passing all of their courses to be on the squad
- Cheerleaders should have a regular routine for health and physical fitness
- Stay on the squad for the ENTIRE year
- Be dedicated and show up for all practices and games (schedules will be handed out at the beginning of the season, and will be posted in the practice room as well)
- Come prepared -- this includes being prepared to move, dance, and cheer at each practice, as well as coming to practice in appropriate active wear with BOTH sets of pom-poms.
- Follow what is set down by Ms. Young and the captain(s) but don't be afraid to share your ideas too!!
- Use appropriate discretion for when it is the time to talk and the time to listen. Remember, our practices are not that long and we have a lot of work to get done each time.
- Respect the other members of the squad at ALL times
- Keep your uniform and shoes clean for all games
- Keep your hair out of your face at all times (a simple ponytail is perfect!)
- Remove ALL jewelry before each practice and game (for safety reasons)
- Manage your time so that your other commitments (job, homework, family, friends etc.) will not interfere with our cheerleading time
- Have and maintain an acceptable level of fitness
- SMILE HAVE FUN and BE ENTHUSIASTIC!!!
- Uniforms (jacket, shell, skirt, turtleneck) will be provided
- You will be expected to pay for two pairs of shoes (one for football season and one for basketball season) at approximate cost of $60
- You will be expected to have black dance pants and black gloves for football season
- You will be expected to have white ankle socks and black undershorts for basketball season
- You will be expected to participate in 3-4 fundraising activities throughout the year
A cheerleader may be susceptible to discipline (at the discretion of Ms. Young and the captain(s)) for any of the following reasons
- unexcused absence from any cheerleading activity
- excessive lates to cheerleading activities
- failure to do assigned duties (ex. baking for a fundraiser)
- failure to follow the above guidelines and expectations
It is each team member’s responsibility to…
- be on time for practices (no later than 15 minutes after the end-of-school bell)
- be on time for games (meet with teammates at least 10 minutes before the start of basketball games or leaving for football games)
- be at every practice and game except in the following circumstances:
- illness – unable to be at school
- family emergencies
- phone, e-mail or personally get in touch with the coach in advance when you will be absent for a practice or a game